Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Sawkill Waterfall

The Sawkill Creek runs through the Pinchot estate, and the land still belongs to the Pinchot family. There is a decent sized waterfall on Pinchot land that up until about ten years ago the family allowed the public to visit. They have since asked that people refrain from visiting for security and liability reasons. I don't blame them for being concerned.

In the 19th and 20th centuries the people of Milford would use the falls and creek as a swimming hole and a place to recreate. When the Yale school of Forestry held their summer program at Grey Towers the students would swim there nude. This produced a controversy when young, female townspeople went to bathe there and saw all of the yale students naked.

I used to hike to the falls when I was a little girl, before public access had been denied. I hadn't been there since I was about six. Last Monday my coworker Paul took Meg and I to the falls. Here are some photos.



1 comment:

Pookie said...

Beautiful. I love the photo of you. You have the prettiest smile.