Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gary B. Nash

He's my new hero. Half way through this semester I decided that I should have written my historiography paper on him and not on Charles Beard. I am writing a paper currently on interracial mob activity during the American Revolution, and Nash's name appears in my footnotes an obscene amount of times. The man got his PhD from Princeton in 1964 so he's had a long career and published a ton of stuff. Read Urban Crucible and it will change the way you think about the American Revolution. His article "social change and the growth of prerevolutionary urban radicalism," is also a good one, because he sheds light on a great deal of the social tensions and increasing urban poverty that other historians tended to gloss over when they characterized social and economic life in the 18th century.

No comments: